Council Activity

The Sandyhurst Lane Residents' Association (SLRA) area lies within a single division of Kent County Council (Ashford Rural West).

The SLRA area is represented by two wards of Ashford Borough Council. These are Downs West ward, which includes 99% of the properties in the SLRA area and Goat Lees ward, which includes 5 properties in the SLRA area.

The SLRA area is also represented by two Parish Councils. Westwell Parish Council includes 69.6% of the properties in the SLRA area and the remaining 30.4% are located within the area of Boughton Aluph & Eastwell Parish Council.

This page is intended to provide residents with news and information about the activities of their local government bodies and the elected representatives are invited to provide updates on relevant council activities for their constituents in the SLRA area.

See our page MPs & Councillors to check in which division/ward/parish council you are represented, and by whom.

Kent County Council (KCC)

To see the minutes of Kent County Council meetings, click here.
For other KCC Committees, click here.

Ashford Borough Council (ABC)

To see the minutes of Ashford Borough Council meetings, click here.
For other ABC Committees, click here.

Boughton Aluph & Eastwell Parish Council
Chair: Spencer Phillips
To see the agendas and minutes of Boughton Aluph & Eastwell Parish Council meetings, click here.

Westwell Parish Council
Chair: Christine Drury
To see the minutes of Westwell Parish Council meetings, click here.


 
On 25th March there was a gathering on Zoom arranged as usual by the Parish Council. Despite the lack of the normal conviviality of a glass of wine in the Parish Hall there was full turnout of speakers and attendees. Damian Green MP spoke about Covid, Brexit and Planning. While Covid has changed the daily life of pubs, offices and traffic, he was optimistic about the increase in community spirit and the newfound value and joy in volunteering which he hoped would continue. Brexit effects locally were significant on traffic and noise with HGVs diverted onto the A20 and Brock in place. His verdict on operation Brock is that it could have been worse. He continues to press Highways England S E for noise improvement M20 repairs to joints and cracked sections of the concrete surface. Major resurfacing is scheduled for 2025.

Planning pressure is slightly eased by the government withdrawing the algorithm that would have increased housing numbers even further. 45 Conservatives spoke against it in the House of Commons. The emphasis now is on better and more vernacular design. Answering questions Damian Green was very open that virtual working was a less than satisfactory way of holding Government to account.
The meeting continued with a report from Charlie Simkins, county councillor. The parish report presented by the chairman Christine Drury, parish finances by the retiring parish Clerk, Sue Wood. The Clerk elect, Nicola Ideson was introduced. Clive Bainbridge gave the parish hall report details were published in the April Eye- and showed photos of the improvements.

Martin Wyatt presented the church report and was persuaded to stay on camera for George Horne to present him, by Zoom, with the 2021-2023 Good Citizen Award - which appeared in front of Martin with the help of stagecraft by Tessa Wyatt. There followed a report on the Players from Maryanne Pitt; the Pitt Stop container is getting equipped for productions soon.

The WI have been continuing to meet, virtually. The Sandyhurst Lane Residents Association reported on their Zoom AGM also held in March chaired by Tony Bartlett.

There followed a lively round of questions an opportunity to reflect and to get things attended to, also to congratulate Martin as the new holder of the Horne Family Good Citizen Award Vase for his unfailing helpfulness, master auctioneer of the harvest supper auction of promises, the ever available sender of Westwell Events email messages, Church Warden and so much more.

See our NEWS
page for the latest on local matters.


Sandyhurst Lane
Residents Association

Protecting the rural character of Sandyhurst Lane and the adjoining area